Entrack – Solar Plant Monitoring Device
The solution was designed to serve a client who had a Solar Farm, generating 40 MW power with approximately a hundred thousand solar panels installed. Naturally, monitoring individual panels for their average power generation data and keeping a check on their working condition was not possible manually.
AIM OF THE PROJECT
The customer wanted a solution to monitor individual solar panel from central control room. This project precisely aimed at creating a low power device that would measure individual panel performance and promptly intimate any functionality fault.
The major challenge was to create and test a system that connects to each panel, 24 hours a day.
- Monitor, measure and report power generated from solar panels
- Measure panel level performance
- Indicate underperforming panel within no time
- Real-time status management of solar panels through a sophisticated CMS
- ZigBee based 2.4Ghz communication technology
Volansys was involved right from understanding client’s problem statement to provide final tested and workable solution.
Volansys came up with a low-power wireless mesh networking device to build a mesh network and transfer data to central control room over the wireless interface with power measurement timing frequency as low as 5 minutes.
- Architecting complete solution
- Small form factor product design and development using Freescale – Kinetis KW2x Platform
- Prototype development
- Complete board design, layout design as per product’s Mechanical packaging design
- Hardware bring up
- Firmware design and developmentHardware and Firmware Integrated testing
- Cloud software design and developmentSystem testing