Canada based company focusing on developing smart wearable to improve work experience and efficiency of fire fighters. They offer an ecosystem of linked product to enhance communication and productivity in challenging environment.
The client wanted to develop a smart helmet that could help resolve issues faced by firefighters due to smoke like poor visibility, limited sense of direction, separation from team, etc. They wanted to offer a robust helmet design along with FLIR camera module and dual screen display that could improve efficiency and experience of the firefighters in extreme situations. The wearable design should comply with necessary fire safety standards. For the same, client was looking for a technology partner with experience in developing such wearable devices who can help them realize their concept into realization.
VOLANSYS helped the client to bring their concept of a smart helmet into realization. We offered comprehensive product engineering services involving requirements analysis, architecture finalization, design and development of hardware and firmware of the wearable, prototyping, pre-compliance, and final certification. We complied the i.MX 8M Mini processor based design for FCC Class B, IC, CSA, and NFPA 1801.
- Embedded Hardware
- Class A component selection and hardware architecture design as per NFPA standards
- Power budget analysis and hardware design documentation
- Schematics design entry, component placement, PCB layout and routing
- Verified placement in 3D Enclosure
- PCB thermal simulation and analysis
- Fabrication, assembly and prototypes development
- Hardware board bring up and Design Validation Testing
- Product pre-compliance and final certification (FCC Class B, IC, CSA, NFPA)
- Embedded Firmware
- Hardware bring-up with peripheral testing and booted the board(Main Processing Unit) using Linux BSP build
- Designed and developed platform bring-up test utilities
- Developed APIs for peripherals and sensors like FLIR camera, dual-screen LCD, rotary knob, accelerometer, RTC, battery, and temperature sensors connected with i.MX8M Mini
- Designed and developed firmware of Fail-Safe Mechanism
- Developed test utilities for product pre-compliance and final certification
Schematics design | PCB layout | Routing | Board bring-up | Fabrication | Linux BSP | Thermal Simulation | Compliance and Certifications | Hardware Engineering | Embedded Engineering
- Delivered FCC, IC, CSA, and NFPA 1801 compliant solution, mitigating regulatory risk associated with fire safety trials
- Improved operational efficiency and experience of firefighters to manage the situation better with live camera feed on the display screen during the fire situations
- Enabled client to build a first commercially saleable iteration of the product