US based technology company focused on improving people’s lives through meaningful and innovative solutions in the healthcare domain that delivers better care to more people at a lower cost. It helps redefine the future of healthcare with quality patient care extending outside the hospital walls.
With evolving technologies and the focus to deliver better patient care in the healthcare domain, client wanted to develop an automated voice intuitive defibrillator for ordinary people with little or no training to treat the most common cause of suspected sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) by delivering a shock and Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) quickly and effectively, wherever SCA happens. The device should have multi-lingual support, network connectivity to send patient and device data to remote servers, wireless and wired OTA support.
For the same, client was looking for a firmware development partner with expertise in the healthcare domain and in-depth knowledge of all the medical standards and safety measures to be complied for healthcare device development along with appropriate testing support.
VOLANSYS helped the client to design and develop firmware of the defibrillator based on ARM® Cortex® microcontroller. The controller manages the system operational modes for both adults and children patients, analyses the ECG signals and determines whether to give the shock or not. It also guides the user to perform CPR with intuitive voice instructions and graphical LED indications.
- Prepared system requirement documents as per medical standards
- Developed embedded firmware application, complying Class C standard IEC 62304+AMD1 and as per FDA guidelines
- Developed SAFERTOS based RTOS abstraction layer to separate the business logic for modularity
- Developed hardware abstraction layer
- Designed and developed drivers for DMA, I2C, UART, SPI, RTC, ADC interfaces with supported controllers
- Performed automated unit testing for correctness & completeness to achieve code coverage of more than 95% using Parasoft tool
SAFERTOS | Driver Development | ADC | UART | I2C | SPI | DMA | Watchdog | DAC | LTE | Static Code Analysis | File System | USB | Embedded Engineering
Automated External Defibrillator Firmware Architecture
- Delivered IEC 62304 and FDA (Medical Regulations) compliant solution, mitigating regulatory risk associated with medical trials
- Easy to operate device with intuitive multilingual voice instructions and visuals saving lives during sudden cardiac arrest scenarios