The US-based client is a leading provider of electronic solutions for a wide range of industries, including data communications, consumer electronics, industrial, automotive, commercial vehicle, medical, defense, and mobile devices. Having more than 75 years of experience, the client leads the industry by offering advanced fiber optic components and optical solutions covering connectivity, opto-electronic components, and wavelength management products.
The client’s existing product is a transceiver module – a compact, hot-pluggable connector used for communication between hosts in data centers using a copper cable. However, the client was facing issues with the interface used for communication with the QSFP+ connector, which hampered the optimal functioning of the solution.
The client wanted augmented support for fixing the identified issues in the content management interface and to ensure that the product complies with the EDCS-641344 specification. The client also wanted the VOLANSYS team to review the firmware in order to overcome any potential challenges in functioning of the product and ensure compliance to the standard. As the implemented firmware was not documented, the client wanted the VOLANSYS team to prepare the firmware design document. VOLANSYS provided engineering resources to augment their existing team to work on the following activities:
- Analyzed and rectified issues in QUACKless active firmware to ensure compliance with the Cisco EDCS-641344 specification
- Updated the internal EEPROM and Flash memory as per the data received from the host(data center) via. I2C
- Corrected timing of interrupt signal and interrupt flag as per Cisco specification during 1 byte I2C operations
- Identified “code smells” and analyzed relevant portions of Cisco specification (EDCS-641344) for compliance
- Provided documentation of existing design, architecture, analysis, fix and validation reports, etc. for future firmware improvements
Embedded Engineering | I2C | Flash memory | Debugging | Technical documentation
- Helped the client to stabilize their product for CISCO certification EDCS-641344
- Provided reliable product performance to safeguard end users from any future hazards
- Provided system design document to enable future enhancements on products