Reduce Time, Effort & Cost for Cross-Platform Mobile Application Testing using Appium
With the increased number of mobile application being rolled out in the market, testing engineers strive to meet all test use cases before the mobile application is released on online marketplaces. In the real-world scenario, they always creep in and they often reappear, even with the best manual testing processes. Automated testing plays a critical role for testing engineers and provides following benefits:
- Increase the effectiveness, efficiency, and coverage of test cases
- Increase the depth and scope of test cases to help improve software quality
- Address all lengthy tests that are often avoided during manual
- Reduce time to run test cases for multiple browsers and devices with different configurations
- Reduces the number of mobile devices required in-house for mobile applications testing
- Appium – An Open Source Mobile Test Automation Tool
Appium a cross-platform mobile automation tool is an open-source tool and framework for automating native, mobile web, and hybrid applications on Android and iOS platforms. It works well on native apps – the ones that are written using the iOS or Android SDKs, mobile web apps that are accessed using a mobile browser as well as hybrid apps that are utilizing web view and are wrapped inside your applications.
- Why Appium?
Some of the core advantages of Appium are:
- It is a cross-browser test automation tool which is often used for writing a test for multiple platforms employing the same API plus facilitates code reuse
- It grants you to test Native, cross and mobile web applications and also enables to operate the automated tests on actual devices, emulators, and simulators
- It allows to record and play test cases, which makes easier for a non-technical person to automate mobile application testing
- It has a library with expanded RemoteWebDriver class of Selenium API with AndroidDriver and iOSDriver classes to hold mobile automation on the platforms of Android and iOS
- It supports automation frameworks like JUnit and TestNG
- Appium for iOS Mobile Application Test Automation
Appium is an HTTP server written in node.js, which handles multiple WebDriver sessions for different platforms like iOS and Android. In iOS, Appium facilitates in below-mentioned steps:
- Appium client (Java or Python) connects with Appium server and communicate via JSON Wire Protocol
- Appium Server then generates an automation session for the client and also checks the specified capability of client and connects with respective vendor-provided framework UIAutomation
- UIAutomation will then keep in touch with bootstrap.js, which is running in Simulator/Real device for performing client operations
- js will perform actions on our AUT (Application Under Test)
- Appium for Android Mobile Application Test Automation
In Android, Appium functions in these below-given steps:
- Appium client (C# or Java) connects with Appium Server and communicate vision Wire Protocol
- Appium Server then creates an automation session for the client and also verifies the particular capabilities of the client and connects with respective vendor-provided frameworks like Splendored/UIAutomator (based on Android versions)
Cross Browser Testing assists Agile development teams and QA teams to discard the cost, time and effort traditionally involved with creating and maintaining in-house testing infrastructure for mobile and desktop browser applications. It advances testing efficiency and test coverage by giving that team, instant and easy access to a variety of real mobile devices and browsers across diverse OS platforms.
To enhance quality and performance of the mobile application, it should be tested before their launch for multiple browsers and multiple end-users who will execute the multiple functions which are highly business-critical. Appium ensures efficiency and quality of applications delivered to end user with reduced manual efforts, cost, and time-to-market.
Do you need an automation testing for your enterprise app? Drop us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call on +1 510 358 4310.
About Author: Kalpesh Balar
Kalpesh works with VOLANSYS Technologies as Project Manager and looks after cloud and mobility divisions. Kalpesh has a wide range of product development experience that brings greater value to our clients to implement their one-stop solution. You can connect with him on LinkedIn balarkalpesh